Saturday, January 31, 2009

Better Living Through Science



"Airplane." October 27th, 2008. Nikon D80, 15mm Fisheye lens, f/2.8, 1/1600 sec. Brussels, Belgium.

The Atomium was built for the 1958 World's Fair. It's a unit cell of an iron crystal, magnified 165 billion times. It's amazingly rad looking on the outside, although inside wasn't very exciting- just some exhibits about the Expo, a place for school groups to sleep over, a cafe, and... that's all I remember. You can rent some of the spheres, or the entire Atomium after 8pm. Hmmmm... an Atomium wedding might just make me reconsider my aversion to marriage.

Why don't we have World's Fairs anymore?! I guess they still exist... but you never hear anything about them, and nobody seems to build anything zany for them anymore. The Eiffel Tower, the Space Needle in Seattle, the Crystal Palace in London, and the Unisphere in New York were from World's Fairs, too. Something we can all agree on is that the world would be a better place with more wacky buildings. It is one of my goals in life to go to a World's Fair sometime in my life. Shanghai 2010, here I come!

I bought very overpriced espresso cups in the gift shop. I had Atomium fever. I don't even drink coffee.

A sign in one of the exhibits says, "27 hopeless people tried to commit suicide" during the expo.

More of my photos from Brussels.

No comments:

Post a Comment