Saturday, April 4, 2009

Boy George and KD Lang: Androgynous Rollmodels For Us All


"Salon," April 3, 2009. Nikon D80, Sigma 18-200mm lens (at78mm), f/5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO 100. Malmö, Skåne, Sweden.

This is a sign for a hair salon, for men AND women! So all-encompassing. It warms the cockles of my heart. I need a haircut, I've got some major split ends. But sadly, this place is closed. I guess this two-bit town just wasn't ready for the revolution of equal opportunity hair cutting and styling. Sad. When will people learn that sexism can weaken communities by dividing them along gender lines?! Down with single sex salons!!! Up with androgynous barber shops! Tidily clipped hair equality for all!
Actually, looking at the photo again, I notice that the salon is not for men and women at all. It's really for ladies and gentlemen. Which is for the best. We don't want cads and rogues and fallen women and scalawags getting their hair cut in the same place as us respectable folk. Gender equality is one thing; moral equality is quite another kettle of fish.

Also, I just took this quiz to find my androgynous name. It's Columbus Prince, which I think sounds significantly less androgynous than my actual name.

No comments:

Post a Comment